Importing Custom Data
When you import new contacts into Batchbook you often have custom data to bring in as well. What's custom data? Basically anything Batchbook doesn't already provide a spot for is what we consider custom data and will live in Custom Field Sets. So how do you get that custom data into your account?
Determine your custom fields
Create Custom Fields
Create a Custom Field Set for the custom data in your file.
- Use the Settings drop down to select Custom Fields.
- Click the 'New Custom Field Set' button.
- You'll be prompted to enter a name and description.
- Create new fields for each type of information. Generally each header (column) from the file will match a Field Name in the Custom Field Set.
A few things to keep in mind when creating Custom Field Sets for your data:
- If you are creating a field where the options are a fixed set of values (for example, options can only be red, blue or green OR warm, hot, cold) - use the multiple choice field type instead of text. Your data and searches will be much cleaner down the road.
- If you want to use the 'assigned to' field type which lets you choose a user on the account - be sure you have the user's email address in your file, not their name, as we will be finding contacts by email address.
- There are lot of different field types - choose the one that makes the most sense for your data but keep in mind that text fields allow for human error more than the others!
Import the file
From the Contact tab select +CONTACTS and then IMPORT
- Choose File Upload as the source.
- Choose the file you'd like to import.
- Select your duplicate options. We generally suggest finding duplicate by Name and Email match.
- It never hurts to tag your import for easier finding later. The tag can be deleted if not needed once the import has completed successfully.
- Select 'Preview' to map your fields.
Map your fields
Batchbook will automatically try to map fields from your file to fields in Batchbook. If the field is not highlighted, you'll need to map it manually. Just click on the drop down arrow for that field and choose where you'd like the info to go. We always suggest double checking the pre-selected mappings as well to ensure that the data is headed where you'd like it to go.
Map custom data
After you click the arrow, a list of all available fields will load. If the field name is shadowed grey it means that the field is already in use and is not available to map to on this import. You will need to remove it from any other mapping to make it available for use.
Be sure to click the 'Import Contacts' button at the bottom when you're done mapping all of the fields. You'll receive an email from us letting you know once the import is complete. These success messages occasionally get sent to SPAM folders so be sure to check there if you haven't received it within a timely manner. As always, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions on import success or on the best way to set up your import file.